Interior design ideas for kitchens are continuously evolving, making the kitchen more functional and convenient. Moreover, there is a wide range of options available so that homeowners can choose a kitchen design that matches their preferences. A common dilemma almost every homeowner faces while thinking about the kitchen idea is whether to opt for a walk-in kitchen pantry or a cabinet kitchen pantry. Mentioned below are a few advantages and disadvantages of a walk-in kitchen pantry and a cabinet kitchen pantry so that you can make the right decision:
Walk-in kitchen pantry
Kitchen ideas with a walk-in kitchen pantry are more popular in modern homes. They are mostly preferred because of their design and look. However, there are both advantages and disadvantages of a walk-in kitchen pantry. Here are a few:
Advantages of a walk-in kitchen pantry
- You can store all your non-perishable food items in one place.
- There is plenty of storage space available in a walk-in pantry and it can easily accommodate all your kitchen items including the pots, pans, cutleries, various kitchen appliances, and even reading materials like a cookbook. If required, storage space can be created all the way from the floor to the ceiling.
- Depending on your interior design idea for your kitchen, you can either opt for a door or an open walk-in pantry.
- Besides making the kitchen design more appealing, it helps to keep the space clutter-free and organised.
Disadvantages of a walk-in kitchen pantry
- Without any doubt, the amount of space occupied by a walk-in pantry is one of the biggest disadvantages of a walk-in pantry. You cannot build one if you do not have the luxury of unlimited space.
- Given the amount of space required, the walk-in pantry is often built outside the kitchen space. Walking in and out of the kitchen time and again to grab an item can become very inconvenient over time.
- The larger the space, the more maintenance it will require. Hence, you have to clean it from time to time so that it stays clean and hygienic.
- Since they are large and can accommodate lots of items, finding the ingredients and setting them up take longer.
- If you cannot manage a walk-in pantry properly, it can easily fall out of organisation.
- Filling up the shelves all the way to the back is difficult and hence, the space at the back often gets wasted.
Cabinet kitchen pantry
Cabinet kitchen pantries are great for storing all your kitchen essentials. Although many people reckon that cabinet kitchen pantries are smaller than walk-in kitchen pantries, it is not actually true. Depending on the homeowner’s needs, the size of the cabinet pantry can be changed. The primary focus of a cabinet pantry is to make the kitchen more functional.
Advantages of a cabinet kitchen pantry
- One of the biggest advantages of opting for a cabinet kitchen pantry is that you can accommodate more items in a smaller space. Hence, you do not have to spend a lot of time and energy to arrange or gather them.
- Depending on your needs, you can opt for various customised cabinet pantry designs to give the interior design idea for your kitchen a more appealing look and add more convenience. Some common examples include pull-out slider units, flip-up sections, shelving, and drawers. Storing and arranging your items in such storage units are much easier. Hence, your kitchen design will stay clutter-free.
- Since they can be installed in the cabinetry, additional space is not required for making the cabinet kitchen pantry.
- Since they do not require additional space, you can easily build them inside the kitchen. As a result, you will not have to leave the kitchen to access your pantry. This will save time and make your life more convenient.
Disadvantages of a cabinet kitchen pantry
- You cannot store other essential kitchen items in a cabinet pantry like pots, pans, cutlery, etc. If you need a lot of storage space in the kitchen, you should consider installing more than one cabinet pantry.
- The cost of the cabinet pantry strictly depends on the customisation you choose. If you choose designs that are complex, it may prove to be quite expensive.